Saturday, July 14, 2012

Back in the Village


I returned to the village on Monday, and was pretty happy to be back.  I was looking forward to quiet, clean air (smoke and exhaust free most of the time), the ability to stretch out in a big bed and sleep in, and maybe even kick this cold.  Also, I now had my bike. 

Yes, a few days later I was bored. How many times can you really listen to a roost's call-and-reponse?  

I like being active so days with nothing going on make me restless.  Ergo my trip to Batumi yesterday.  After 2 days in Kobuleti (admittedly, reading on the beach), I was ready for some activity.  So, after spending the morning yesterday spraying WD40 on various squeaky hinges around the house (making it easier to walk around at night without disturbing anyone), I rode into Kobuleti and put my bike on the minibus, headed to Batumi, settled in at a café with wifi.  To-do list today include:  purchase replacement light bulb, purchase bungee cords, see if I can find a bike helmet. I was moderately successful.  

But the village is a weirdly fascinating place in its own way.  For example, yesterday I woke to the sound of the cow mooing.  Loudly.  At 5am.  I wondered if perhaps the calf was being born.  Turned out, yes, the calf was born.  Today I looked outside and it seems that cafe, at 27 hours old, has learned how to get up and walk around unassisted and eat grass.  Go figure...

And last night, I was offered chicken.  "It's our chicken.  Natural!"  
I had a bite and a light bulb went off.  "Um - a couple of days ago you were walking with a check from the chicken coop.  Is this the one?"  Apparently it is.  And I was wondering why the egg supply has been low recently.  

This morning, I asked if there was cheese.  "Soon.  Now that the calf has been born, there will be lots of cheese."  



No comments:

Post a Comment