Sunday, August 4, 2013

The People You Meet


The thing people sometimes say when someone is going somewhere "new" for an extended period of time is "I couldn't image going there by myself."  The thing is that, once you get there, you aren't by yourself.  Below are a few of the people I encountered. 
People Around Town

Alfred, in his shop.  Not from Barclayville, he moved to Barclayville for the business opportunity.  He is in the process of expanding his shop, one of the best stocked shops in town.  When I was basically told that I couldn't borrow someone's hammer (maybe because I'm a girl?), I went to Alfred to purchase my own.  He didn't have one in stock, but ordered one. 


Sis Patience's Cook shop - where I ate about 70% of my meals, or so it seemed.  She knew that my favorite was rice and beans.  Price for a heaping bowl of white rice and an accompanying bowl of stewed beans (or greens or eggplant)?  100 Liberian dollars (72 Liberian dollars = 1USD).  The eating area is through the blue door. 
Sis Patience's Cook shop - where I ate about 70% of my meals, or so it seemed.  She knew that my favorite was rice and beans.  
Student (and friend) Shaka (right) and his sister/auntie (?).  Shaka was in one of my 10th grade classes.  He helps to run his mother's shop (shown) - where I bought the fabric for my fantastic chicken pants!
Student (and friend) Shaka (right) and his sister/auntie (?).  Shaka was in one of my 10th grade classes.  He helps to run his mother's shop (shown) - where I bought the fabric for my fantastic chicken pants! 
Shaka's sister/auntie makes "acheke" - a dish from C'ote D'ivoire.  It consists of cassava (served similiarly) to rice with onion, spice, a whole fried fish, and fried plantains.  The food is on a table behind her. 
Regina, my 11th grade student and president of the BCHS Girl's Club.  She rolled her eyes when I tried washing my clothes with a wash board.  And always called out "Miss Gray!" when I walked by. 
Johnny Toe Jr. (left) and Myking Suah (both in 10th grade) interview me at the Grand Kru radio station. 


Johnny Toe Jr. (left) and Myking Suah (both in 10th grade) interview me at the Grand Kru radio station. 

The boy who lives across the street.  In front of my house. 

Angel (right) at his tailoring shop.  His brother (left) temporarily joined him at his business.  Angel was often amused by my various reeussts.  And very patient when I showed up at his shop with a piece of old fabric I had found in the market that I wanted transformed into something.  He also told me about the history of Barclayville and his experience during the conflicts.  













German Agro staff, including Martin Embola, at a local tea shop. 

German Agro staff, including Martin Embola, at a local tea shop.  They are talking to Mah Nyanti (standing, left), the BCHS's agriculture teacher. 


Football match. 

At a football match.  The young man on the left in the blue shirt was an 11th grader (with an interest in physics and math). 
People at School

Langford explains basics of beekeeping to BCHS students. 



Students at the school's "Queen contest" - a fundraiser for the school. 

Jackson Wisseh (left), the principal, and teacher John Faya (right) at a school function. 

Jackson Wisseh (left), the principal, teacher John Faya (center), and Anthony Nyanti (right), the VP, at a school function.



Mr. Nyswah and teacher walking home after school. 


At my farewell ceremony.  Mr. Nyeswah, the administrative VP, is on my left.  A fellow teacher is on my right. 

Students at my farewell ceremony. 

Students at my farewell ceremony. 

The teaching staff at BCHS. 

The BCHS administrative and teaching staff.


Christopher, the Reading Room resource coordinator.  After we established and opened the Reading Room, the principal contacted authorities in Monrovia to say that, now that we had a Reading Room, a staff person should be sent to Barclayville.  He came several weeks later. He will be writing to various departments and organizations to get more materials for the room. 

With the security guard and office assistant (left).  She sold peanut butter squares that I would buy for "breakfast".  They were a mixture of peanut butter, ground cassava, and sugar. 

Students after my farewell ceremony.  10th and 11th graders. 

Students after my farewell ceremony.  10th and 11th graders. Including the principal (in the hat). 

UNMIL (UN Military Operation in Liberia)



At an UNMIL party at the beach.  UNMIL consisted of a military side and civilian side (and the military side recently left).  The military side was furnished by the Pakistanis. 

At UNMIL beach party.  Rashid (right) and Pakistani soldier (left) help themselves to rice and goat meat cooked in an enormous pot. 


Alison O. speaks at UN Peacekeepers Day.  A Liberian member of the UNMIL staff, he is not from Barclayville, but has worked there for many years. 


With Alison.  Right before departing Barclayville.  I am holding a HUGE pineapple given to my at the ceremony on behalf of the people in my neighborhood. 
 A brief stop-over in Ghana:  

With Rabi.  Who I met two years ago on a bus from Accra to Tamale.  I spent 2.5 weeks in July traveling around Ghana with her during which time we visited a variety of places and often were hosted by her friends. 

Rabi and her friend Sharon, during our visit to Volta. 


No comments:

Post a Comment