Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tbilisi > Boston; Boston > Monrovia

I arrived back in Boston one month ago.  On the 21st, I flew from Tbilisi to Warsaw to Chicago, and then, as I'd feared, I was delayed in Chicago due to weather.  Despite my annoyance, it actually worked out.  I had had the foresight to ensure my phone would be reactivated prior to my arrival, so the first few hours in Chicago were full of phone calls as I booked a flight for the following day and found a hotel for the evening. 

Interestingly, another teacher was on the same flight to Chicago, so we teamed up for the evening and enjoyed our first Americana meal together in the Chicago Airport Hyatt.  I understood why he didn't want the cucumber-tomato salad that came with his burger and he understood why I thought the iceberg lettuce wedge with blue cheese was a great way to being my time back in the United States. 

The next day, after a great night's sleep, I flew to Boston, was driven to Hull by my parents, and, later that evening, drove into Somerville to attend a friend's party.  I'm not sure I recommend that - attending a party a few hours after arriving home after being gone for nine months, but I'm glad I did it.  Though I certainly felt a little out of it that evening. 

And then there was Christmas.  And New Year's.  And then...  preparing for my next adventure - in Liberia (West Africa).  Truth be told, I was hoping that the Liberia departure date would be a little later - like February 1st.   But driving from Hull to Quincy to get on the subway (metro) to go into Boston is getting a little old so I might as well get on to Liberia, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment