Wednesday, January 23, 2013

You're going to Liberia why...?

I have a variety of stupid excuses for going to Liberia.  Like "I worked pretty hard to move all my stuff to my parent's basement pre-Georgia; why not getting a second trip out of all that effort?" And "I don't particularly enjoy spring in Boston."  And "No mortgage, no kids, no commitments."  

But on a more serious note, I think possibly the easiest way to explain why I'm going to Liberia is this:  Because I can.

I can explain.  And there are some other reasons, too.

1.  Because there are no guarantees. 
This time last year, a friend of my then-significant other was trying to figure out the medical issues he was encountering.  Eventually a diagnosis was made:  pancreatic cancer.  What a reminder that, just because I have my health now, doesn't mean something screwy isn't going to happen next year/month/week.*   

This summer, while in Cappadocia, Turkey, a fellow (Australian) traveler commented that "Most people live their lives backwards.  They work when they're young, with the intent to travel when they're older.  But when they're older, they often can't due to health issues.  We should live our lives the other way around."

Ergo, if I have the opportunity to go to Liberia now, why not take advantage of that opportunity?  Who wants to look back and say "I always wanted to do that.  But never did.  And now I can't."

2.  Because I can; I have my health (and so do my parents).  
A few years ago, my summer began with me in a Boston hospital wondering "What do you mean there might be a problem?  I'm a mostly-vegetarian who eats organic food and exercises.  What do you mean you want to send my medical information to an oncologist for a second opinion!?!"  While I was (and am) fine, I know many people who have encountered unexpected (or chronic) medical issue.  And these aren't elderly people.  Often cancer related.  There's something about such an experience to help one re-prioritize.  In addition to me having my health, my parents have theirs.  Why wait? 

3.  Because I haven't spent much time in Africa.  
A bunch of years ago I was meeting a friend at an event at Harvard which recognized the work that women were doing in post-conflict regions of the world.  The honored guests were women from Rwanda.  One of the women and I started chatting.  She asked "Have you ever been to Africa?"  My response was a sheepish facial expression, the rocking hand gesture that means "so-so" and that "Mmmmmm" noise that means "Maybe?".  She smiled, patted my hand and said "You've been to Morocco."  "Yes," I replied.  "But I do plan to go to Africa for real one day."

Then, when interviewing for my upcoming position, I was asked "Why do you want to go to West Africa?  You haven't been to Africa before."  I corrected her (reminding her that I'd spent over three weeks in Tamale, Ghana) and then talked about what interested me about the position.  But, in addition to the explanation I gave her, there was another reason:  I never want to be asked that question again.

In addition to enjoying seeing "new" places, as someone with a long standing interest in development issues, it feels important to spend time in a place that is facing so many of the issues that so many poor countries are struggling with. 

 4.  Because maybe the experience will contribute to some divine idea about what to do next.  
I would love to have a long-term plan for my life.  And there are times when I wish that I'd be satisfied getting some job that I can work in until it's time to retire (or die).  Unfortunately, however, I don't have a firm plan and I don't want to settle for something that is unfulfilling.  So I continue to collect experiences in the hope that one day they will come together in some ah-ha! moment. 

5.  There's some unfinished business.  Odds and ends...  
I've worked for the federal government before.  And I spent time in Ghana a couple of summers ago.  And I'm not done with either. 



* Given the "Carpe Diem" reminder that TC's illness provided me, it was a little ironic that his final demise happened a couple of weeks ago, while I was home in Boston between my Georgia and Liberia adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment