Saturday, May 25, 2013

Suggested Liberia pack list


This post is for the group of volunteers who are destined to arrive in Liberia this summer.  A pack list and list of helpful hints…  

Who is this person?  (Aka is this the kind of person who has useful information for me?) 
Background:  I have been in Liberia since the end of January, and will be here until the end of July.  I am serving as a Response volunteer, one of those folks who already served elsewhere for two years, and is now doing a short-term gig.  My original country of service was W. Russia (’99-01).  And then, after over a decade in Boston, it was time to get out.  First I spent eight months in the Republic of Georgia and then arrived in Liberia.  (My time in Boston did involve some travel, largely for vacation, and it included nearly a month in Tamale, Ghana.)  

I would jokingly describe myself as a lover of what I term “hippie-dippie” things.  I avoid chemically stuff (including SPF, Deet, etc.), love my natural products store, and seek out interesting whole grains.  At home, I buy fresh organic coffee and organic produce.  In the US I am a fish-eating vegetarian.  I am a self-described foodie, and I love to support good microbreweries.  I love my internet connection, learning new things, and generally dislike watching tv.  

So, that is the background of the person providing you with this list. 

For the ladies: 
- shawl - this will be to keep you warm on the plane, keep the sun off, allow you some privacy when changing (or relieving yourself on the side of the road), etc. 
- Reusable, washable, boilable feminine supplies like “diva cup” and “glad rags” – Yes, everyone not familiar with reusable products just exclaimed “Eww!  That’s gross!”   But, honestly, there are very few disposable products here, so assume your preferred products will not be available.  Instead of bringing a 2 year supply (and needing to deal with disposal issues – and risking that used products will be sitting in an open hole attracting animals – or that they get rained on), consider if reusable products would work for you.  Email me if you have further questions. 
- Monestat or similar product in a tube - Even if you have never used such a product in the past, it is worth it to bring it along. 
- bra with adjustable straps – so that when you have clothing made and it turns out to be off the shoulder, you have a bra to wear
- This isn’t packable, but if you are able to take a self-defence course before you depart, do it!  Liberia is a safe country, but there are crazy people everywhere.  You don’t need the course because Liberia is unsafe; you need the course because when you’re in a new place and situations are unknown, it’s nice to feel that you know what to do if something goes wrong.  There’s a great self-defence program called “R.A.D.”  If you are a university student, contact your campus police department to see if they offer trainings. 

For those who eat: 
- Gatorade – enjoyable and hydrating powdery goodness
- spices – seriously!  Spices here are limited to spicy pepper and onions and maybe garlic (took me 2 months to find it)  I brought curry powder, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, mustard powder, garlic powder, and 100% maple sugar pellets (for oatmeal).  You also might consider oregano, basil, herb d’provence, lemon pepper, and anything else you usually use to cook with.  Many of these, however, can be purchased in Monrovia, too.  (Helpful hint:  you can make brown sugar by mixing white sugar and molasses, so if you need brown sugar on your oatmeal, bring molasses.) 
- coffee filter and coffee cone – yes, I buy real coffee in Monrovia and pour it through a canvas coffee filter (in a plastic coffee cone) every morning – and then add powdered milk
- tea stuff – Yes, I brought nice regular and decaf tea from the US.  I brought looseleaf with little reusable tea bags
- coil water boiler – while it is likely that you will not have electricity, because they are small, consider a coil hot water boiler.  If you have electricity, it will allow you to quickly boil water (and then put it into a thermos for later). 
- tupperware that is critter-proof – Also, I actually have recently purchased a few (not great) plastic containers so that I can go to local “chop shops” and bring ½ of my rice home to be eaten for breakfast the next day

For those who will be in the sun, rain, or outside: 
- hippie-dippie SPF products
- good sunhat – I have a big floppy sunhat from REI which I sewed ties to so that it doesn’t blow off in the wind; better than sunscreen
- good sunglasses – If you’re going to wear them every day, get something that you like. 
- hippie-dippie bug spray - I have “organic bite blocker xtreme” – which works on skin and as a spray to prevent critters like  ants from walking where I don’t want them (like on my jars of food). 

For those who like to sleep: 
- Ear plugs (roosters!)
-  eye mask
- travel pillow
- Thermarest matress pad (seriously, I went to REI as a last minute errand and got one and it has made my life much better; you put it over the foam mattress (that alone you will uncomfortably sink into) and sleep really well; buy an REI membership, and use the 20% benefit for the mattress)
- Sleep sheet (if you’re trying to justify the cost of a silk one, try this:  “silk is easy to wash and dries really quickly”) 

For those who use technology: 
- smartphone – you can get data plans here
- computer – I brought an old Dell netbook.  It died, but it was still worth it. 
- external hard drive – the reason I didn’t have a heart attack when my computer died is because I knew almost everything I had was backed up. 
- Camera – consider a waterproof one
- memory card for your camera – make sure it’s big enough for lots of photos – you don’t want to be doing something cool and run out of space on your card
- world band receiver radio (aka a radio that gets station 11000 so that you can listen to BBC)
- solar charger – like “Power Monkey” – I have the one you can charge by plugging it into the wall, I have electricity perhaps 3 hours an evening and charge it up so that I can charge a phone, kindle, etc. as needed (though we all got new awesome lamps that can do the same job, so it is your call)
- Kindle or other ereader with library books (and reference books and cook book and to use in class as PDF reader) – you might be issued one, but if you can bring one from home, you have time to a) get a membership at a library with electronic books and download a few dozen, and b) turn the wifi off so that they don’t expire after the 1 week loan time is over; look into the Boston Public Library network for an example of a library network with electronic resources.  A (password protected) ereader is also a great way to bring reading materials that might raise eyebrows if religious conservator colleagues saw the paper version of the book on your book shelf. 
- MP3 player with music (don’t forget the holiday music!) and a few audio books (for days when you’re sick and need entertainment)
- Hand crank radio – not crucial, but depending on where you are a basic radio with a flash light is useful
- Portable LED solar powered devices (because you will want light at night)
- Universal adapters – I thought I didn’t need one, and then I received a gadget with an odd shaped outlet, and was glad to have the adapter

Thoughts on clothing: 
- bandanas (lots of fun colors and patterns – to be used to tie hair, filter dust, wipe sweat from face)
- shoes:  I have a pair of chacos and a pair of black Ecco leather sandals; I don’t run here so my running shoes thusfar haven’t been useful
- bathing suit (with shorts for ladies, if you want to be modest)
- water shoes – yes, I have water shoes, which allow me to play on the beach and in the waves without worrying about stepping on something sharp; not necessary, but not a waste if you live by the beach
- undershirts – even for the ladies.  White undershirts soak up sweat so that your regular clothing stays looking good.  All the students wear them under their white shirts.  Now I do too. 
- Bring a t-shirt (or other clothing item) or two that makes you happy.  Something that reminds you of home.  I have a hat from grad school and a t-shirt from Nantucket. 
- Bring a skirt (or other items) that you *like the cut of*, so that you can bring it to a tailor to copy (using the new African fabric you purchased)

Other necessary stuff
- combination lock (for locking the safe in your house)
- small head lamp (2) – yes, two.  With a spare battery if it takes a weird size.  You will use it for lots of stuff.
- Swiss Army Knife – mine is a 4 inch blade with a cork screw, bottle opener, and a few other basic items; it stays in my day bag
- Crate and Barrel “picnic knife” – aka paring knife with awesome plastic case.  If you’re going to peel and eat your own pineapple, you need a good knife
- Gerber knife – not necessary, but I had it so I brought it.  More substantial than my little swiss army knife.  mine has a screw driver, pliers, sharp knife, and other tools.  I find the pliers and screw driver function to be helpful. 
- books:  dictionary, basic cookbook, religious books (if you’ve ever wanted to read, say, the Koran cover-to-cover, this is your opportunity)
- stapler/ staples – okay, I read this suggestion a bunch of month ago and thought it was dumb.  Now I’m glad I have a mini stapler.  I use it to put posters on the board when I’m teaching
- 2-3 good black markers for writing on poster board – it is easier to write notes on poster board and bring them into class than to spend time writing notes on the board in class
- Ziploc bags! 
- 2-3 reusable cloth shopping bags – really useful at the market as well as for packing for weekend trips (when you want to put, say, all the clothing in one small bag so that it can easily be found/removed)

For those who sometimes pamper themselves
- foot pumice – don’t think of it as a luxury, think of it as a fast way to clean dirt off of your feet
- face wash or shampoo that makes you happy – every evening I enjoy the smell of my Origins face wash
- exfoliating scrubby glove – sometimes when you’re feeling sweaty and dirty, it’s nice to scrub the dirt off with something that exfoliates
- nail stuff – nothing crazy, but 2 years without a nail clip (or file) would be annoying

Things that I think are over-rated
- large towels – they take up too much space.  If you want to bring a towel, I recommend a small travel one that dries quickly (or you could dry off with a wash cloth and not need to worry about needing to wash a towel by hand)
- lots of clothing – assume that if you need something, you can buy it here (or have it made).  Though I am told that good bras cannot be purchased here…
- big travel books of West Africa – they’re heavy.  Consider going to the library, scanning it to pdf, and saving it to google docs and/or putting it on an ereader

No comments:

Post a Comment